National Animal Supplement Council (NASC)
NATIONAL ANIMAL SUPPLEMENT COUNCIL
ExeGi Pharma, the maker of Visbiome® Vet, is a proud member of the National Animal Supplement Council (NASC). The NASC is a non-profit group dedicated to protecting and enhancing the health of companion animals.
About the NASC
Members of the National Animal Supplement Council are concerned and committed manufacturers of animal health supplements across the globe. Together they endeavor to improve the quality of these products sold to consumers for the benefit of their horses, cats, dogs and other companion animals.
NASC’s overriding goal is to promote the health and well-being of non-human food chain animals that are given animal health supplements by their owners, and to protect and enhance the integrity of the animal health product industry.
The NASC works cooperatively with the Food and Drug Administration, the Center for Veterinary Medicine (FDA/CVM), many State Regulators, associations recommending regulatory policy like the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO), and the Veterinary Drugs Directorate (VDD) – Health Canada to name a few.
Noteworthy NASC Accomplishments
- Submitted a written plan to address the issue of dietary supplements for companion animals and horses
- Developed and implemented Good Manufacturing Practice quality standards
- Developed and required members to comply with an Adverse Event Reporting System
- Developed labeling and claims guidelines for members’ products
- Established a research database supporting ingredient benefits
- Established an independent Scientific Advisory Committee for members’ product ingredients
- Conducted training programs for members and business partners
- Presented NASC and quality program at the National Academies of Sciences / Nutritional Research Council
- Provided FDA/CVM, States and AAFCO information for the Melamine pet food recall without issues to NASC members
- Increased membership to represent over 90% of the US industry
- Educated animal owners and business partners
- Developed an independent quality audit verification program for member companies